Do you look forward to retreating to your bedroom at the end of a long day? I know I do! Which is why it’s so important that my bedroom is a soothing oasis, a relaxing place to which I can escape and let go of the stress and hectic activity of the day. You might not be able to get a vacation as often as you’d like, but you can relax at home if you turn your bedroom into an oasis. It’s not hard to do…and, it doesn’t cost a lot to make it fabulous! So get started and create your quiet place.
- No clutter. This is the most important part of creating your zen space- I mean, how can anyone relax when there’s clutter all around? Hang up your clothes right away and get your laundry into the hamper. Keep things neat by using bookcases, storage boxes and bins, and a beautiful nightstand with doors.
- Make your bed. Every morning! (See #1.)
- Fresh flowers. A bouquet of fresh flowers doesn’t have to cost more than a few dollars but gives you so much bang for your buck, bringing color, aroma, and a touch of luxury to your room. Yes, you’ll have to replace them every week, but that just lets you change up the decor a bit, keeping it interesting.
- Decorate with blue. Blue is a soothing and relaxing color that can actually lower your heart rate and blood pressure. If you’re painting, choose a shade in the blue family, but you don’t have to repaint the walls just to get the blue in. Incorporate the color by using it for your linens, pillows, rugs, or other accessories. If you like a pop of bold color, add it in the accents.
- Bedside rug. A cozy rug by your bed adds warmth and a comforting touch. It will also help absorb sound, keeping your retreat a more quiet place.
- Art. Artwork is the finishing touch that ties the decor together. And art can be a soothing or inspiring component to your room, so include things that make you happy.
- Fragrance. Use essential oils in a diffuser, or light scented candles for a relaxing ambience. Citrus and lavender are soothing and comforting scents.
- Lots of pillows. Lots of pillows on the bed gives a feeling of luxury and makes your bed a cozy, comforting place to read. Pillows are available at all price points, so this is an expensive way to add luxury to your space.
- Lighting. Set up lighting with a dimmer, or use bedside lamps for soft light. Sunlight is a great mood enhancer, so if your room gets sun, cover the windows with sheer drapes so you can wake up to natural light.
You deserve a place to unwind, a space that takes you away from the chaos of the outside world. Create that space for yourself in your very own bedroom!