Welcome to #ThrowbackThursday! Every Thursday we’ll be celebrating the wisdom of our foremothers with some themed tips from the Great Depression era. Feel free to get in on the fun! Write your own Throwback Thursday tips on our Facebook wall, or tweet @CatchyFreebies with the hashtag #ThrowbackThursday. If we choose your tip for a feature, we’ll send you a sample from our stash!
This #ThrowbackThursday, it’s also Make a Gift Day! Our Great Depression foremothers would definitely approve of making your own gifts to give this holiday, so we’ve compiled our favorite DIY gift ideas! We also wanted to focus on items that can be recycled or reused from things you may already have, so this will be an extra-frugal edition of handmade holiday gifts!
- Quick bread in a bottle via Sunset.com – this chocolate chip oatmeal quickbread mix is perfect for any bread-lovers on your Christmas list!
- Homemade heating pad via Alice & Lois – everyone gets cramps, aches, and pains once in a while. Why not give a cute and comfy heating pad they can have handy?
- Fabric covered notebook via Between the Lines – a fantastic idea for the writer in your life (or the super-organized person who can’t stop making lists!).
- DIY “Polaroid” photo coasters via One Good Thing by Jillee – these adorable coasters will keep fond memories at your giftee’s fingertips!
- Comic book coasters via Mod Podge Rocks – the best gift for the #1 nerd/comic book enthusiast in your life!
- Reversible coffee cup sleeves via Crafty Staci – perfect for your favorite coffee lover! Don’t know anyone who loves coffee? Try…
- Salted caramel hot chocolate mix via Seeded at the Table – great for kids, the caffeine-intolerant, and just about anyone, really!
- Wooden phone amplifier/speaker via Make It & Love It – if you have some extra time and really want to get hands-on, these “speakers” are fabulous for any music lover! No batteries or cord required!
- Tool bucket tote via Sew 4 Home – a great idea for dads or anyone who loves to describe themselves as “handy” – you could even adjust this to make a fab craft tote for the crafter on-the-go!
- Favorite team necktie via Crazy Little Projects – whatever the sport, there’s always a favorite team! This tie tutorial will help your favorite sports lover show their pride!
- Lace knit infinity scarf via It’s Always Autumn – infinity scarves are all the rage, so why not gift a chic little number like this?
- Recycled water bottle fabric cuff bracelet via Canadian Family – pair a recycled water bottle with some stylish patterns and you’ve got yourself a cuff bracelet worthy of any frugal fashionista!
- Bow belt via Momtastic – a super simple but adorable accessory for the stylista who can’t live without bows!
- Fabric scrap keychains via Craftiness Is Not Optional – use up your fabric scrap stash and make gifts for your disorganized friends all at the same time!
- Duct tape rosette accessories via Brit + Co – rings, necklaces, hairbows, oh my! The possibilities are endless with these adorable rosettes made out of duct tape!
- Bird nest necklace via Sarah Ortega – this easy necklace is frugal, cute, and so unique! Make one to match each of your jewelry-loving friends – they’ll be among the best gifts you’ve ever given!
- Chalkboard mug via Wit and Whistle – great for coffee and tea lovers – they can draw their own designs or messages on their mug!
- Dollar store hot pads via The 36th Avenue – use up some scrap fabric and make some totally adorable custom oven mitts!
- Handwritten recipe tea towels via Spoonflower – if your mom, grandma, best friend, or whoever loves to bake or cook, these dish towels are the perfect customized gift! Just pick their favorite recipe (or yours) and get writing!
- Shark hoodie towel via Just Crafty Enough – fantastic for friends with children – all the kids on the block will envy this cool hoodie towel!
What are your favorite DIY gift ideas? Leave us a comment on Facebook or send us your thoughts on Twitter @CatchyFreebies using the hashtag #ThrowbackThursday!