Berries such as blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and bananas are great sources of many different vital minerals and vitamins your body needs daily. If you are looking to try to add healthier foods into your diet, here are 6 reasons why berries should make the cut:
- They are great sources of antioxidants: Antioxidants are crucial for your body’s ability to reverse the damage free radicals and radiation cause. Berries such as blueberries are great sources of these minerals, and help keep you healthy in this age of radiation exposure and environmental pollution.
- Bananas are a good source of potassium: Bananas, especially starchy green bananas, are great sources of potassium and aid in a healthy gut and smooth digestive system. These unusual members of the “berry” family can lower your blood pressure and your risk of getting heart disease as you age.
- They build up your immune system: Berries such as blackberries have an extremely high concentration of vitamin C, which helps boost and build up your immunity. This will make you contract less sicknesses from pesky bacteria and viruses such as strep throat, common cold, or the flu.
- Berries help prevent diabetes and manage insulin levels: Berries help balance out blood sugar levels which, in response, help your body properly manage how much insulin it secretes from your pancreas. Frequent berry eaters can therefore help themselves prevent getting type 2 diabetes.
- They’re good for your skin: The antioxidants in berries, such as ellagic acid, help protect your skin’s collagen from inflammation and sun damage. Collagen is the main protein in your skin’s structure, which keeps it looking young and clear, so eating berries is very good for smooth skin.
- Berries all have a unique and delicious flavor: Luckily, there are so many different berries to try out there, each with their own delicious flavor and essential vitamins. They are also very hydrating and versatile, with most people putting them in smoothies and acai bowls.